Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Ironman Coeur d'Alene

Meghann and Matt, post Ironman
Coach Matt Hemberger is an Ironman!  Matt competed in the 1.2 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and 26.2 mile run event last Sunday.  
Here is a race report from Matt detailing his Ironman experience in Coeur d'Alene:

"Ironman Coeur d'Alene has got to be one of the most beautiful places in the world. With temperatures from 45 to 70, the town has become the place to kayak, hike, boat, bike, run, retire, and Ironman!
With Meghann and Molly, my inlaws, and my Mom, we made the trek to the small town just 90 miles south of Canada to complete my goal of finishing an Ironman.  The water was cold!   At 56 degrees, even with a full wetsuit, thermo cap and foot booties - I couldn't find warmth.  Mentally, the swim was a challenge. With many competitors holding on to kayaks due to "numb" legs, and others being pulled out due to low body temps and hypothermia, my sights were set on finishing the darn swim - which I did.  I spent some time warming up in T1 and found that numb fingers made it quite difficult to put socks on...but after several minutes, I geared up and headed out on the 2-loop bike course which took you along the rolling Lakeside of Coeur d'Alene, and then North to the town of Hayden.  The bike course was tough.  With approximately 5000 feet of total elevation change and some of the toughest climbs I've ever experienced, each loop was a challenge.  Nutrition was good and weather was perfect - but my hill training was limited here in Texas, so I used the 1st loop to learn how to climb, and the 2nd loop practicing my new pedal stroke.  I can honestly say the 2nd loop of the bike was my 'race day high point.'  I got to see my family and felt much more confident tackling the course the 2nd time around.   Coming off the bike was good - but during the run along Lake Coeur d'Alene, I experienced some mild stomach issues and was forced to incorporate the walk a bit/run a bit Ironman run technique.  Not ideal, but I was going to do whatever it took to finish.
At the end of the day, the experience was one that I thoroughly enjoyed and was privileged to share with my family.  I felt my fitness and training were spot on, and though it came at the "busy-est" season of my life and race-day hurdles of frigid water temps, bike course hills, and an uneasy stomach on the run hindered my time goal - I am thankful to have heard Mike O'Reilly tell me that I was an Ironman at the end of the day on Sunday, June 26th, 2011
Congrats Matt! OutRival Racing is so proud of you!

No comments: